Sunday, June 9, 2013

Non-fiction

I have always been one to love many genre's of literature, and non-fiction is no exception. Some believe that children can learn a lot more if they acquire information through a textbook rather than a non-fictional trade book. I would have to greatly disagree with that, there are now so many wonderful non-fiction books that possess the same facts that text books do. I think one of the greatest things about using non-fictional trade books over textbooks, is that they will engage students a lot more. Trade books contain many colorful illustrations and graphics that are sure to draw a student's attention in. Also, some text books contain information that may be difficult for students to understand, whereas a trade book could break down the information in an easy to read and understand manner.
When introducing non-fiction to my students I would start off by asking them to look around the room and notice their favorite animal books, I would have them look at the days lunch menu, or maps that we have in the classroom. I would then explain to my students that these items all have something in common, they are non-fictional, meaning they are not made up, they all either explain something or inform you about something.
I could hold a class discussion where my students tell me about books they have read about real-life people, places, things, or animals. I could then give them an assignment to use non-fiction trade books to complete a project on a certain topic.
It is my job as a teacher to show my students that non-fictional books are not boring and dry, but exciting and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment